Do you have a particular business idea?
As a foreigner living on Federal Territory with a residence permit, you may engage in self-employed activity, if you fulfil the following criteria:
• There is a particular economic interest or a particular regional need;
• the activity is expected to result in positive effects for the economy and
• the financing of the implementation is guaranteed through your own capital or a credit approval.

In this case, an application for an amendment of the supplement to your residence permit must be made at the Foreigners Authority, in which the above-mentioned criteria should be set out or proven in full. The application form can be found on the right-hand side. Foreigners who live abroad can make a visa application with the responsible German foreign representation, which will then be forwarded to the Foreigners Authority of the region in which the applicant wishes to take up residence (not the head office of the company), for the purposes of analysing whether the application will be consented to. After the consent and issuing of the visa, you may enter Germany. Afterwards you must register with the local Residents Registration Office and apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners Authority. Further details on self-employment can be found in the wording of article 21 of the Residence Law.